June 1, 2010

WTF?!

Cobweb Hedge


I was out for a drive last Sunday morning, when I saw that some sections of the hedges appeared to be haunted. Being the nosey type I had to stop for a closer look. What I discovered was: a thick layer of (what looks like) cobweb on the pegwood hedges. The cobweb was absolutely crawling with black maggoty things. It was gross! I've lived in the countryside all of my life but I've never seen anything like this before and neither has anybody else I've asked. So now I'm really curious. This is only effecting the pegwood/spindlewood sections of the hedges. So far I've only seen it on the back roads of South Tipperary. I really want to get more information and Google has let me down on this one. 

So if you know please leave me a comment!

Cobweb Hedge

4 comments:

  1. Great pics.Saw lots of them on Sunday also. No clue what they are, larvae of something, but I who knows?
    I have them on a nettle patch at home, minus the webbing. No birds eating them, so they must be scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So strange! I looked it up and it's possibly some sort of species of the tent caterpillar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent_caterpillar . Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's it Laura, now I can look forward to millions of moths flying around :-/ Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is the moths, the South Tipp Today had a piece about them a couple of weeks ago. I was on my way to Fethard when I saw these, I had visions of massive colonies of spider babies or something so finding out they were moths was a relief lol :D

    ReplyDelete